[time-nuts] Stanford Research SR620 GBIB

Julien Goodwin time-nuts at studio442.com.au
Sat Aug 28 07:03:09 UTC 2021

For an upcoming (very time-nutty, and hopefully to be shared soon)
project I need to finally do some frequency datalogging.

I've had a Stanford SR620 sitting around, and plugged it in to a handy
GPIB adapter (*not* a major commercial one, one of the community ones).

While I can get it to talk GPIB there seems to be some reliability
issues, with what looks to be some form of read buffering happening,
with measurement results coming in as the answer to some later command.

A few times I've even restarted it as it stopped responding (luckily
that hasn't happened once measurements had started).

Since I'm hoping to actually use measurements as part of a control loop
this is obviously a bad thing.

Does anyone have any experience with the SR620 & GPIB as to why this
might be happening?

I've not experienced this with other instruments (ancient HP, modern
Keysight, recent Keithley, 90s Anritsu) I've used with the same GPIB
adapter.

The SR620 has version 1.48 firmware.