[time-nuts] Re: Query about List and about 10 MHz Distro

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 29 17:56:38 UTC 2021

Hi

With *any* cable setup, proper termination is vital. An improperly terminated
balanced line can be just as bad as a poorly terminated coax. Things like
common mode chokes are part of a *lot* of setups.

What gets messy is that a lot of gear does not properly terminate the cable.
It’s high-z so you can run a bunch of them with Tee connectors or some other
strange approach. >20 db of return loss is *not* what most cables get terminated
in.

It doesn’t take a lot of coax to get a quarter wave at 10 MHz. Anything nearly
that long is going to be a radiator if you let it.

This all gets a bit insane if you have multiple 10 MHz sources (like devices
you are testing). Close in phase noise and ADEV both can get really strange
as a result.

Lots of issues ….

Bob