[time-nuts] Re: HP 5065A, no 2nd harmonic.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Dec 1 19:19:15 UTC 2021

Hi

The reason for the thermal fuse (which is *not* a feature of other OCXO’s)
is the 10811’s deployment in a wide range of devices. There are a few that
do have restrictions on them. The 5065 is not one of those devices.

The protection provided is minimal. The pass transistor will fail in a runaway
situation. Unless you happen to be on a submarine or something similar
you are not creating a significant problem when it does.

The thermal fuse significantly degrades the reliability of the device. It is by
far the most likely part in the entire OCXO to fail. Putting up with this failure
process (and the cost of the fuses) is not reasonable if the benefit is quite
small.

Indeed there was some beer involved in the discussion, but HP OCXO
engineering was onboard with the above information last time we chatted
about it. That would have been in the early 1990’s …. These failures have
been going on for a *long* time.

Bob