[time-nuts] Use ADEV or MDEV to set time interval of GPSDO?

Erik Kaashoek erik at kaashoek.com
Wed Dec 8 16:16:35 UTC 2021

For my home build GPSDO I'm searching for the best interval for updating
the VCXO based on measuring the PPS over that same interval.
The GPSDO measures its internal PPS with 5ns accuracy using 10MHz from
the internal (not so good) VCXO as reference resulting in a PPS accuracy
of 5e-9 per second measured.
To understand the accuracy of the PPS, the drift of the VCXO and the
performance versus interval I did the following measurements

  * PPS with U6200A/AR60A (dark blue line)
  * 10MHZ free running output of the VCXO in open loop with U6200A/AR60A
    (green line)
  * PPS as measured internally in the GPSDO (red line)
  * 10MHz GPSDO with 100s interval with U6200A/AR60A (pink line)
  * 10MHz GPSDO with 20s interval with U6200A/AR60A (light blue line)

In the document on his GPSDO, Lars states that for determining the best
interval for a GPSDO one should use the MDEV plot instead of an ADEV.
So I made both (see attached)
On the ADEV plot the unregulated VCXO trace crosses the PPS traces at
about 100s and when using either 100s or 20s as interval both traces
converge with the downward trend of the PPS itself
On the MDEV plot the VCXO trace crosses the PPS trace at about 20s but
both regulated VCXO's overshoot the PPS trace a lot.
The 20s interval seems to introduce incorrect adjustments as the blue
line moves up around 20s and gets much higher than the 100s interval
pink line. Also the frequency difference plot (FREQDEV.JPG )shows the
20s interval trace being corrected incorrectly (too big jumps)
This all could be caused by the limited resolution (5ns) of the PPS
measurement but I do not understand how this limited resolution should
be reflected in shifting of the PPS line. Reduction in resolution seems
to give a too optimistic measurement of the ADEV of the PPS where the
MDEV seems to converge.

So my questions are:
Are my measurements correctly done?
Should I use the the ADEV plot to determine the optimal interval of a
GPSDO?
Or is the bump at 20s due to the limited PPS resolution and should the
MDEV be used with an adjusted PPS trace for the limited accuracy? If the
latter, how to adjust?
Erik.