[time-nuts] Re: Clock displays -- eye response

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Fri Dec 10 21:36:26 UTC 2021

On 12/10/21 12:31 PM, Brooke Clarke via time-nuts wrote:
> Hi Hal:
>
> There has been some recent research into illusions related to sight
> and sound.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGurk_effect - related to speech
> and search "audio optical illusion"
>
> I like a crisp "tick" for clock human synchronization.
>
> I wonder why there has not been more done with military "Have Quick"
> for time synchronization?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HAVE_QUICK

HAVE QUICK was a very early hopping spread spectrum system and was long
since superseded by SINCGARS and other systems in the 1980s.  I don't
know that it is a "source" of time.

There was a whole set of systems for loading "time" into these frequency
hopping systems, since all manner of their synchronization behavior
depended on time.  And in usual DoD/NATO fashion, forward and backward
compatibility was often required, so you'd have a way to sync any two
random radios in a battlefield situation.  Cryptographic keying is also
often time based, as are frequency nets (local interference, keeping the
other guy guessing, or propagation changes)

Synchronization is the "hard part" of most spread spectrum systems both
Direct Sequence (PN codes) and Frequency Hopping, and that's where most
of the classified stuff is - how do you synchronize reliably, how do you
prevent the synchronization from being spoofed or jammed. A naive FH
approach is to have a "hailing channel" and the first person transmits
there, and the other person hears it, listens to a sync pattern, and
then commence hopping together. This works for point to point between
two stations, but doesn't work very well when you have multiple
stations, not all of which can hear each other.

GPS would have been a godsend back then (although it's not very good
from an Anti Jam standpoint).

Dixon, in the seminal tome "Spread Spectrum Systems" kind of makes an
offhand comment that synchronization is the challenging part, and then
moves on "assuming we have synchronized".

> It's been a part of the PLGR and DAGR GPS receivers and I expect also
> for the military embedded versions for a long time.
> https://prc68.com/I/PLGR.shtml#Time
> https://prc68.com/I/DAGR.shtml#HQ1PPS
> Also things like the O-1814/GRC-206 Reference Frequency Rb Oscillator
> make us of it.
> https://prc68.com/I/O1814.shtml

I don't know that they make use of it, rather, they can provide sync TO
a HAVE QUICK radio.