[time-nuts] Re: Clock displays -- eye response

Hal Murray halmurray at sonic.net
Sat Dec 11 09:59:54 UTC 2021

Erik E. Fair said:
> This apparently relevant paper is, alas, behind a paywall:
> The magic (google-fu) word is "latency" ...

Ah... Thanks.

NIH should have a lot of papers on visual stuff,
  so I fed >pubmed visual latency< to Google
That got a bunch of hits.  Some are behind paywalls.

This looks like more than I wanted to know:

Event timing in human vision: Modulating factors and independent functions
  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32853238/

SOA is a magic TLA: Stimulus-onset asynchrony
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimulus_onset_asynchrony

The ballpark from the graphs is 30-50ms depending on accuracy.

Along the way, I learned about Pulfrich
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulfrich_effect
The latency depends on brightness.  You get neat illusiions if you put a dark
filter over one eye.