[time-nuts] Re: Poor's man NTP

giuseppe at marullo.it giuseppe at marullo.it
Sun Dec 19 13:05:24 UTC 2021

Hi David,
>If you are considering something for "the rest of the company" you could
save yourself a lot of bother by getting something like the LeoNTP box:
I know Leobodnar stuff, mostly encoders for flight simulator's Garmin
navigator(https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4019943).
Their GPSDO is well known option for O100 sat comms, it comes handy when you
need also  *that* 25MHz reference for improving stability of the LNB for
OSCAR100 ham sat transceivers.

Made of Unoubtanium, as almost any kind of item at the moment in Italy. From
bricks to cars, wait time is up to two years.

Anyway, given that I fear we don't have any NTP server at the moment(not to
mention no Stratum 1), I would end up to be responsible for its operation,
so a COTS solution is absolutely a good idea.

COTS
I would like something like one, for example (on backorder as everything):
https://www.netburner.com/products/network-time-server/pk70-ex-ntp-network-t
ime-server/

Probably we should implement NTPSec for a somewhat serious usage though.

I will fiddle in *my* lab with Raspberrys, leaving to ops the joy of being
responsible of the NTP infrastructure of the company.

We are aiming for ISO17025 accreditation, but we are involved in
cybersecurity, nominally for IoT, not for metrology or material testing.
Time accuracy is for records, documents and so on.

Of course, we need a small electronic bench with the usual stuff, like DSO,
DMM and the like, a good GPSDO is a must today, but we don't need periodic
calibration.
Hopefully any chinesium re-encased trimble should work for this.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ