[time-nuts] Where do people get the time?

Thomas D. Erb tde at electrictime.com
Mon Dec 27 12:01:51 UTC 2021

years ago I was out a large clock installation in NYC - written on the wall was a note - before noon tune to a specific shortwave frequency to listen to the noon type signal.

Western Union used to distribute time over their telegraph network for a small fee - in connection with the Self Winding Clock Company

The power company (still does) keeps  line frequency accurate to a time standard.  Henry Warren got this standardized - I believe Tesla proposed it.

Cell phone towers all have GPS receivers - there are ways to get time off them.

We now use GPS receivers everywhere you can get a nmea sentences that has UTC time.

Thomas D. Erb
p:        508-359-4396
f:        508-359-4482
a:        97 West Street, Medfield, MA 02052 USA
e:         tde at electrictime.com
w:        www.electrictime.com
Tower & Street Clocks Since 1928