[time-nuts] Re: Where do people get the time?

B Riches bill.riches at verizon.net
Mon Dec 27 15:11:15 UTC 2021

 I have had one of those Western Union clocks for 30 years and it is still working.  Originally powered by 2 # 6 dry cells that ran the clock for years.  Now powered by 2 D cells that run  it for a year.
To reset the time WU would stop all traffic on their wire from 1159 to 1201 and at 1200 send a hundred  volts down the wire for a few seconds.  That would activate a solenoid that would reset the hour hand to noon.
When WU decided they did not want to be in the time business they told their customers they could keep the clocks.  That afternoon many clocks walked out of the offices!
Everything you wanted to know about Self Winding Clock Company can be found in "American Clocks Volume 2" by Tran Duy Ly starting on Page 177.
I have a copy of instructions for Model F from the Self Winding Clock Co Engineering Department that I can send to any one that is interested.  My clock was restored by Ken's Clock shop who specializes in these clocks.
73,
Bill, WA2DVUCape May, NJ