[time-nuts] Raspberry Pi 4 oscillator replacement

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Feb 5 13:46:57 UTC 2021

Hi

A lot depends on the intended application of the chip. For
a general purpose MCU that could go into a wide range
of things and that has very few peripherals,  1 to 40 MHz
might be just fine.  There are chips out there with much
wider clock input ranges.

Toss in USB and that locks in a clock tree output. Pile on
various Video formats and they need this or that specific
output frequency. Various speeds of Ethernet need this or
that. Fancy audio may adds in its needs. These are outputs
from the clock system rather than inputs, but they do impact
what inputs will work.

A general purpose device may still allow a range of inputs
and then play games to get the needed outputs. An on chip
VCO and a variety of dividers feeding a PLL are one common
setup. There may be multiple sets of this and that onboard.

The issue becomes that only very specific individual frequencies
in the specified range will work. Many of those specific frequencies
may be quite strange looking ….

On a purpose built device ( = one intended use) it is not
uncommon to see them saving die space on the clock tree.
You have one target input that it will accept. If you are lucky,
it might accept 2X  and 4X that frequency. I suspect that this
approach also makes the part a bit easier to test / validate.

None of this is to say that the RPi will not work at (say)
50 MHz in. It is very likely that it will.  It is a pretty good bet
that a whole bunch of peripherals will have issues if you do.

Bob