[time-nuts] Next step after Trimble Thunderbolt

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 6 00:31:57 UTC 2021

Hi

Indeed the “gotcha” here is that what these parts were designed
to do (fancy holdover performance) is very much *not* what your
typical Time Nut is looking for (good ADEV long term). To the extent
that this or that specific serial number of this or that design may do
better or worse, that’s pretty normal.

Complicating things further is the inevitable drive for lower and lower
cost systems. Anything and everything that can be pushed out of
the design will be ….

Bob

> On Feb 5, 2021, at 5:31 PM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Russ would they be better? I kind of wonder. All of the systems were built
> for telco applications and wouldn't need to be better then what the service
> required.
> There should be additional equipment falling out of the telco industry as
> they shut down the old Gen 3 sites/hardware. So maybe in a year there will
> be a new batch of interesting widgets from China.
> Regards
> Paul
> WB8TSL
>

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 5:24 PM Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Be *very* careful how you look at that number from LH. There really
>> is no way to know how good ( = how accurate / how valid ) it is. It’s
>> a measure of a watch looking at its self. To get something accurate,
>> you would need to compare it to an external device that was at least
>> in low parts in 10^-13 range.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>> On Feb 5, 2021, at 4:44 PM, Russ Ramirez <russ.ramirez at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Simple question really, one day my Thunderbolt is going to fail and I'm
>>> possibly not going to be able to repair it.
>>>
>>> The frequency stability ADEV @ 10000 Tau is 3.22 x 10-13 over 48,000
>>> points, per LH.
>>>
>>> Across the spectrum of newer GPSDOs what would provide the same
>> performance
>>> or better?
>>>
>>> Russ
>>> K0WFS