[time-nuts] Daft idea with the National Grid

joekokker at epios.eu joekokker at epios.eu
Mon Feb 8 22:59:07 UTC 2021

Dear all,

it is quite an interesting premise. I think one of the challenges is to
even measure these small deviations in frequency. The time correlation
can be achieved with GNSS but the actual determination of the
zero-crossing might be the problem. I think the ZCD must be better than
100ns for this in each cycle. Local noise and environment conditions
render it quite difficult. When constructing a filter for the 50Hz, the
components must be very well designed to cope with the different
temperature, local noise and voltage amplitudes at two different places.

Regarding disruptions in the grid: there are various regulation
mechanisms. Generally the first 10-20 seconds physical effects stabilize
the grid. Afterwards the automatic control takes over.

- saved rotational energy: an initial frequency drop due to a unexpected
change in load or production is smoothed out by the inertia of all the
generators, motors, pumps, etc. For a 10% mismatch in power without
additional measures, the initial frequency drop would be about 1Hz per
30 seconds.

- self-regulation: a 1% drop in frequency leads to a ~2% reduction of
load due to frequency dependent loads;

- primary, automatic load-frequency control takes about 30 seconds to
activate

After this rather short timescales, as Poul-Henning mentioned the human
factor (trading) has the biggest impacts on grid stability. It is
clearly visible with a periodicity of 15 minutes and more pronounced in
the evenings.

A small note on the recent frequency drop in the European grid:
https://www.entsoe.eu/news/2021/01/26/system-separation-in-the-continental-europe-synchronous-area-on-8-january-2021-2nd-update/

Best
Joe