[time-nuts] Daft idea with the National Grid

d.schuecker at avm.de d.schuecker at avm.de
Tue Feb 9 14:31:43 UTC 2021

Hi,

zero cross detection is not the best way to track grid frequency.
I built my grid frequency tracker with a uC sampling the grid at 160ks/s
and 12Bit. It is clocked by a TCXO. I fit a sine wave for every cycle of
the grid.

Fitting a sinewave is a linear problem, you do not need any approximations
and it is doable with a small uC. The samples of a sinewave are the
solution to the difference equation sig(n+1)=2*cos(w)*sig(n)-sig(n-1),
which is a linear equation for the unknown cos(w). That is straight and
simple linear algebra. I get a precision in the range of 4E-4 Hz.

Years ago I recall reading accounts of efforts in the U.S. and perhaps
Canada to track down the cause(s) of small but noticeable changes in the
frequency of certain regional power grids that seemed to occur at more or
less the same time each day.

In the european grid you have stable frequency changes in a 15min
timeframe, frequency being high in the morning and at night and low in the
afternoon. The 15 min timeframe is due to the 15min trade periode of the
European Energy Exchange trading platform located in Leipzig. The energy
brokers show a deterministic under/over-estimation of the european power
consumption which results in power shortage/surplus and thus frequency
rise or fall.

If I were a stock exchange geek I'd turn this information into money, much
money :))

Cheers
Detlef

"time-nuts" <time-nuts-bounces at lists.febo.com> schrieb am 08.02.2021