[time-nuts] 5370A

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Feb 10 14:06:56 UTC 2021

Hi

The gotcha with pretty much all HP counters is that the front end
chips are non-standard. In some cases they are part of a multi chip
module that is non-standard.

Option one is to find a parts donor on eBay and transplant the front
panel of your 5370, 5334, 5335, 53131,53230 …. and fix it that way.

Option two is to build up something that isn’t quite the same and
see if you can cram it in the space available. I seem to recall this
working better on the 5370 than on the 5335.

Back when you *could* get service on them (like the 1980’s), a blown
channel on a 5335 was a $1150 repair bill. They replaced the entire front
panel PCB. Even HP service could not get “that chip” to simply replace
the blown input device.

Bob