[time-nuts] 5370A

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Wed Feb 10 14:46:29 UTC 2021

Hi,

This was to some degree out of necessity that they had to design some
chips to meet their needs, but as it was done "in house", it was also an
opportunity to get ahead competition. They have done some pretty strange
chips through the day. They often had a separate article in HP Journal
to show off how cool they where. Finding that for the 5370A (and 5345A)
may be a good start in addition to the manual.

As I recall, isn't the input board of the 5370A actually the same as for
the 5345A? It may be shared with more counters. Yes, it is, I checked
the 5370B manual. So that then increase the potential donor range.

With a bit of head-scratching, I think that one should be able to find
sufficiently equivalent functionality in more modern chips, and some of
the head-scratching to retro-fit it, which meets a bit of challenge also
to maintain signal integrity.

Cheers,
Magnus