[time-nuts] The need for quartz crystals and mains frequency (was: Mains Frequency)

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Feb 13 05:48:53 UTC 2021

attila at kinali.ch said:
> And, please do not forget that modern mains frequency control is something
> quite recent as well. Especially outside (west) Europe. Having mains
> frequency powered clocks being off several minutes per month was the norm
> 50-70 years ago.

I have a (fuzzy) data point from ~60 years ago.

I was in high school and got to tag along with a quick tour through Niagara
Mohawk's control room.  They were the power company for a large part of
upstate New York, including Syracuse where I lived.

I remember somebody pointing out a pair of clocks on the wall, one driven by
the line.  I wasn't enough of a time-nut to inquire about the source for the
reference clock.

----------

Has anybody seen a good writeup on the history of clocks running off the line
frequency and power lines being used for timekeeping?

Anybody else remember the little red dot that was on a swinging flag behind a
little hole?  That was the analog equivalent of blinking 00:00.

When you set the time on a clock, the flag swung up and stuck to a magnetic
part of the motor.  The color on the part of the flag visible through the hole
in that position matched the color of the face.  When power was lost, gravity
pulled the flag down and that part was painted red.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.