[time-nuts] The need for quartz crystals and mains frequency (was: Mains Frequency)

Dave ZL3FJ 2c39a at silverbears.nz
Sat Feb 13 10:11:33 UTC 2021

That 'flag' feature can be found on the very early  (1930s) Telechron
digital display clock, the model 8B01, as a separator between the hours and
minutes digits.  A lever on the back panel allowed the user to reset the
flag from red to white when power was applied.
 Loss of AC power meant the synchronous motor that drove the digital dial
drum mechanism lost it's magnetic field - which allowed the flag to 'fall'
and display as red. The 8B01 has often been described as the world's first
digital clock-is this true?- Not sure.
DaveB, NZ