[time-nuts] AN/URQ-13 FE-15a oscillator question

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 16:17:11 UTC 2021

Several answers.
At temperature it can be adjusted to 5,000,000.0XX XX using just the coarse
adjustment. The Xs are because it has not really been on long enough to
seriously stabilize. Its been off/cold for easily bet 20-30 years.
The urq family of references were intended for shipboard use generally. As
mentioned in the 1970s the urq10 was in shirt sleeve environments on every
ship I was on and visited. Aircraft carriers to Oilers.
This unit has an extremely limited amount of information and as mentioned
this unit is absolutely some alpha version pre-release. I have guessed at
power supplies and Corby started all this with a URQ23 question. I started
looking at the urq23 manual and used that power supply design. +/- 15V 150
ma cold 30 40 ma hot.
OK back to this the 110 degrees seemed really too cool to me and thats
the question I asked. Was there such a thing as a crystal oven at 110
degrees.
There are to meter readings on the test meter. On FE units there is a
center red band. Assuming position 6 is outer oven its in the center red.
Position 7 assuming inner is at 9-11 off scale. When warming up it goes
through the center and you can actually see servo type behavior until its
off scale.
So that leads me to believe there is an issue. Granted nothing is labeled.
Just 1-9 on the switch.
The URQ13 could be a nice unit if working. Nothing like todays Rbs, Cs, and
GPSDOs. But you just never know when you will need a military class 1980s
reference. Chuckle. I always liked the URQ10s when I was in the service.
The ships all had 3 of them. But given they were all in exactly the same
location that seems like a poor consideration these days.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL