[time-nuts] The amazing $5 timestamper with 6ns resolution (next, stop: 184ps)

Dwayne Esterline Dwayne.Esterline at krytronx.com
Tue Feb 16 17:27:24 UTC 2021

Jeremy-

Well done! I am certainly interested in learning more about your project. Are your charts available online, or would you mind sending me a copy (dwayne.esterline at krytronx.com)

I am running an experiment using a 20mhz OCXO driving 32bit binary counter IC's (sn74lv8154 @ about $1), and sampling the count via Arduino Nano33IOT using an i2C bus, and writing the result to an online mySQL database via wifi. This gives 50ns resolution, but a relatively low sample rate due to the read time of the i2C bus. I can zero the counters and sample the counters very precisely with interrupts, but reading is a multi-byte data transfer process (on the order of 10's of milliseconds).

My personal interest is in studying the fine structure of the short term variations and random behaviors of time measurement (what normal time-nuts call noise :-)

Looking forward to watching your project develop, and have been learning much from the veterans of this mailing list- keep it coming.

-Dwayne Esterline