[time-nuts] AN/URQ13 reference AT cut crystal?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Feb 17 23:31:02 UTC 2021

kb8tq at n1k.org said:
> …… and there are whole families of crystal cuts that have been optimized for
> use as thermometers. There is no need to compromise on something like an AT
> or SC if you are after temperature. There are lots of different  cuts to pick
> between.

How many degrees of freedom are there if I want to make a crystal?  What
fraction of the space has been explored?

Rotation in 3D has 3 degrees of freedom, but we are making a plane so I think
we get one back.

How accurately does a the crystal have to be oriented?  If I'm doing a brute
force search, how close together would I have to make test samples in order to
not jump over something interesting?

If I pick a type of cut, say AT, does the shape (round, rectangular) effect
the temperature profile?  If it's rectangular, that may add another degree of
freedom.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.