[time-nuts] Symmetricom TimeSource 3000

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 20 15:35:13 UTC 2021

Hi

The 3000’s primary function is to provide accurate T1 clocking for telecom
use. Depending on the options, it provides a couple or quite a few T1 clock
outputs. It also will provide an IRIG-B and an RS-422 serial time code output.

All of it’s functions are dependent on it being properly configured. There is software
out there somewhere to let you do this. There also is a manual. Getting it running
involves connecting the right sort of GPS antenna and putting it in self survey
mode. Quick way to see what sort of GPS antenna is to poke the SMA with a
DVM. The DC voltage on the center conductor will be what the antenna will be
fed. Best guess is that it’s a 5V antenna.

Since you are converting GPS related strings into NTP, it’s probably easier / better
to just use a cheap GPS module to drive your NTP server. There’s a lot of stuff
in the 3000 that you will not be using. When it breaks, you have a mess ….

Bob