[time-nuts] Ebay Huawei Ublox M8T Modules Warning

John Miller john at millerjs.org
Sun Feb 21 05:34:11 UTC 2021

Hey Bob, (and whoever else has got one of these things)
I'm curious as to what degree of progress has been made using these
little modules as-is. I know some people are pulling the M8T modules off
to upgrade other systems but I want to try and use it as it was
designed, as much as I can anyway.

Mine arrived today and I have been probing and poking at it off and on
for the past 12 hours, and this is what I have found so far:

- J3 is a standard 3v3 UART running straight into the M8T. Rx (into the
M8T) is disabled, so you need to add a jumper link to R17. It comes
right up with NMEA at 9600 baud, but as soon as the MCU on the board
boots up it (the MCU) sends a message that halts the NMEA. I have
confirmed with a logic analyzer that *something* is still being sent but
I'm not sure what, maybe ubx? It isn't much, but it happens about once a
second.. If you disconnect the main external power and feed 3v3 in
through this header the M8T does run as a normal standalone ublox
package would, and I am able to modify settings.

- The M8T (maybe) can't be run off of the 3v3 UART tap alone, because
the antenna's LNA is powered from the main power, and the antennas I use
don't seem to like running totally passively, it's probably possible to
just pump power into this but I haven't gone that far, yet.

- I have captured what the MCU is sending to the M8T (from monitoring
the Rx pin on the UART header) but I haven't been able to make heads or
tails of what it means yet.

- The pinout for J2, the main connector, as best I can tell (going off
of what you have provided):
-- P1 - power, the docs say 15-35v, I fed in 20v and it's doing fine
-- P2 & P3 - RS422 pair for control data into the M8T
-- P4 & P6 - RS422 pair for data out of the M8T (maybe out of the MCU, I
haven't traced this fully yet)
-- P6 - ground
-- P7 & P8 - RS422 pair for PPS

I have a few RS22/485 transceivers coming next week so hopefully I can
confirm more of this. The HDMI pinout nokia provides is a little bit
misleading because it includes a number of pins that are not used here,
namely "SingleEndedIn: REF2M_IN REF10M_IN" and "GPS_PWR_RET" - this
confused me for a little bit.

- On the bottom of the board are three chips, a 1Mbyte flash, and two
UART-RS422/485 transceivers. Both of the transceivers are 8pin SOICs,
one handles the control/data Tx/Rx, and the other handles the PPS.
Something a bit curious is that one is a TI SN65HVD1474 (U3) and the
other is a Maxim MAX3490 (U4). They have identical pinouts and very
similar specs (20mbit vs 10mbit, respectively). Why not use two of the
same? Vendor diversification? Manufacturer ran out of one and subbed the
other? Curious!

- Even more curious is the way the SN65HVD1474 (U3) is configured. I
have checked this at least two dozen times and keep coming up with the
same results. Instead of A & B being paired, then Z & Y being paired: A
& Y are paired, and B & Z are paired, each running the J2P7 and J2P8
respectively. I cannot wrap my head around this. I have not yet checked
to see what is feeding into the R & D lines of U3.

- There are three LEDs on the board, a red one which is only visible
with the lid off that I have only ever seen illuminated, a green one
that goes through the lightpipe to PWR, and a dual-color red/green one
which has the following modes: flashing red 2Hz, while acquiring?
Flashing green 2Hz (not sure, but it outputs PPS?), solid green - after
about 20 minutes, I'm not certain.

- I have only barely started to look into the MCU, a Silicon Labs
C8051F340. At the very least I would like to be able to dump the SPI
flash on the back and the 8kbyte I2C EEPROM on the front. My guess would
be that they're being used for logging and runtime, maybe calibration
parameters? I found a C8051F340 evaluation board and it has a 10 pin
header marked "debug", with a pinout. J7 on this board seems to be very
close, but not identical. I'll need to dig into this one a bit more.
Honestly, to get started, it may be as simple as holding RST high to
just keep the MCU out of our way.

Also, I've been snapping a few pictures as I go along, they may be
useful to others:
https://photos.millerjs.org/?f=Nokia_FYGM_GNSS

And here's a capture of what is coming out of the M8T's UART once it
gets a solid lock:
Text: https://files.millerjs.org/Nokia_FYGM.txt
If you have Saleae Logic (free download):
https://files.millerjs.org/Nokia_FYGM.logicdata

Regards,
John
KK4YWH