[time-nuts] U-blox teaser

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Feb 27 02:29:57 UTC 2021

A while ago I tried doing a decidedly non-anechoic measurement with a
VNA exciter going to a 1500 MHz ground plane and the receiver connected
to the antenna (with a known delay cable) and I got a similar result,
but there was enough noise that I didn't think I could nail it down to
within 10 ns.

I've also measured GPS antenna splitters and they tend to have 20-ish ns
delays, mainly due to the SAW filters.  I did surgery on an HP splitter
to remove the filters so it could be used for L1 and L2 and that dropped
the delay down to only 1 or 2 ns.

So there's definitely lots of stuff to calibrate if you want to get
accurate time transfer.

John
----