[time-nuts] U-blox teaser

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Feb 27 13:39:58 UTC 2021

Hi

The same 20 or so ns delay in a saw would also apply to the
saw (or tight filter) in some timing antennas. It also would apply
to the saw(s) in some modules. Even if the tolerance is “only”
a couple ns on each of them, you *could* have 3 or more in the
chain.

Lots of numbers to crunch to get to 5 ns “absolute”. One could go
grab a GPS simulator and start poking. First step would be to find
a simulator that is spec’d for a < 5 ns tolerance on the PPS into
GPS out. I do believe that rules out the eBay marvels that some
of us have lying around …..

Simpler answer would be a quick “clock trip” with your car full
of 5071’s …… hour drive over to NIST and then back home.
That sounds practical for most of us :) :)

Bob