[time-nuts] U-blox teaser

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 14:41:06 UTC 2021

I've long understood that ionospheric delays and variations thereof lead to
*position*
uncertainties in GPS navigation receivers, to the tune of perhaps 10m
(2DRMS IIRC).,
and that these are said to constitute the single largest GPS error source.

Q1: Would this not imply timing errors of comparable magnitude (10's of
nsec)
       for a single band GPS?

Q2: Why have I not seen this issue raised in connection with the present
discussion
      about achievable absolute timing accuracy?

Q3: Do any of the "modern" timing GPS receivers available to civilians do
dual-band
      reception in a way that includes estimation of (and correction for)
said delays and
      their variations?  I know that Garmin, for one, is now selling L1/L5
handheld GPS
      receivers (GPSMAP66sr and GPSMAP65s), but I've seen no indication
that these
      units make any attempt at doing such corrections.

Dana