[time-nuts] Rebroadcasting time signals [WAS: La Crosse Clocks - ]

Erik E. Fair fair+timenuts at clock.org
Sun Jan 3 00:59:24 UTC 2021

I don't suppose there's any passive repeater solution for WWVB, e.g. antenna in attic feeding coax to another, hopefully smaller antenna to reach radio clocks with less-than-adequate built-in antennas in more unfortunately shielded parts of a house? Similar to how Community Antenna Tele-Vision (CATV) first started, lo the many decades ago?

When last I went web-searching (yeah, yeah, "googling") for this sort of thing, I ran across the smartphone WWVB "emulators" (transmitters - turns out that typical smartphones can be induced to transmit the WWVB 60 KHz signal as a harmonic of appropriate noises sent to their built-in speakers!) and wrote about that:

https://www.quora.com/How-does-an-atomic-or-radio-controlled-wrist-watch-work/answer/Erik-Fair

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.houryo.wwvbemulator&hl=en_US

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/clock-wave/id1073576068

https://sgfantasytoys.wordpress.com/2015/05/13/synchronize-radio-controlled-watch-without-access/