[time-nuts] Rebroadcasting time signals [WAS: La Crosse Clocks - ]

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 3 13:38:33 UTC 2021

Hi

> On Jan 2, 2021, at 8:54 PM, Lux, Jim <jim at luxfamily.com> wrote:
>
> On 1/2/21 4:31 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> There is the R-390 and it has a mailing list…..
>>
>> If you are not running radio, then leakage may not be a problem for you. Thus no
>> need to start hunting for it.
>>
>> Bob
>

> The R-390 (or 390A) are not what might be termed lightweight <grin>.  (about 40kg, I believe)

…. you could always put it on a cart, sort of like one of the fine old Tek plugin ’scopes :)

The issue with direction finding a 10 MHz source isn’t just the radio. You also need some sort of
directional antenna. A loop of one kind or the other is about the only practical thing to use. Even then,
to get reasonable directivity they need to be carefully made. This is not going to be a small setup …

If the source is a system with a bunch of leaking cables, you are chasing many coherent radiators all
at the same time. Getting a bearing on this or that and then getting a bearing from another location to
plot on your map …. not easy at all. Unfortunately with 10 MHz:  “I decided to run a 25W square
wave into a dozen pieces of doorbell cable” is sometimes what you are tracking down.

Bob