[time-nuts] small multi-timezone display

Adam Kumiszcza akumiszcza at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:20:21 UTC 2021

I had an old iphone sitting on my desk all the time showing the clock using
https://apps.apple.com/app/atomic-clock-gorgy-timing/id295302256 (Gorgy
Timing app). It was using my local wifi and using SNTP to connect to my
local GPS NTP server.

It worked great for a year or more, until one day I noticed a bump on the
iphone's case. It turned out the battery got swollen by constant use (it
was connected to a charger all the time). So it can get dangerous!

I guess more modern phones and tablets could do it better (trying to keep
optimal charge all the time, sometimes I even see a message that my iphone
won't charge now because my normal behaviour shows it won't be needed until
6AM, so it will charge later…). Also maybe using the smallest possible
current or setting some time switch for the charger will help, but I guess
most smartphones or tablets are not really prepared to work non stop.

Adam