[time-nuts] Ebay Huawei Ublox M8T Modules Warning

gandalfg8 at aol.com gandalfg8 at aol.com
Sun Jan 10 12:13:04 UTC 2021

Many thanks for the comments on this, I've since heard from the seller who tells me they were listed as tested after being pulled from working kit and haven't been tested since at 5 volts, phew:-)
I remember the missing diodes on fluke.l's version of the Tbolt monitor, and also seem to remember that some at least recovered and went on to work ok once the diodes were fitted, but haven't had any experience of over voltage on Ublox kit so didn't know what to expect with these.

The error was in the connection data, the boards themselves aren't faulty, well not that I know of yet anyway:-), and that diagram has since been changed, unfortunately it now shows both the supply voltage and antenna voltage as 3.3V but at least that's playing it safe.
With regards to the origins of this board it's certainly been around for some time, and the same board or very similar versions are also available fitted with LEA-5T and LEA-6T modules, and all look to be original production, presumaby a touch of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"!
I specifically went for this board because of it's simplicity, I will need to trace out exactly what goes where but as a pre-assembled carrier with basic connections already available, and perhaps enough room for some modification if required, it seemed ideal, with some of those more complex modules on offer I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to start:-)

Nigel, GM8PZR