[time-nuts] Ebay Huawei Ublox M8T Modules Warning

ASSI Stromeko at nexgo.de
Sun Jan 10 18:02:48 UTC 2021

Am Samstag, 9. Januar 2021, 23:38:35 CET schrieb gandalfg8 at aol.com:
> Now a question, supposing someone did follow that diagram and applied 5
> Volts to Vcc on the M8T, what is the risk of damage and would it be
> immediately obvious?

The commonly agreed upon definition of an abs max rating is that anything is
possible if you happen to exceed it even just a tiny bit, including latent or
immediate permanent damage.  Practically there is always some headroom since
otherwise nobody would be able to test and guarantee that specification.  How
much headroom?  You don't know…

Looking at the block diagram that VCC goes into a power management block that
has a DC/DC converter of unspecified type, but surely some sort of down-
converter, so that VCC terminates into some switching stage and hopefully
never enters any downstream circuitry directly.  The potential failure modes
would be direct damage to the switching transistor(s) in the converter due to
overvoltage or switching loss or (less likely, but possible in certain
topologies) that the internal supply exceeds whatever voltage it's supposed to
produce.  Unless the switching stage fails catastrophically (typically
shorting the supply as a result, which will announce itself immediately) which
becomes more likely the higher the applied voltage and the longer you apply it
(both will shorten the lifetime exponentially) I'd suspect that you couldn't
tell without grinding the chip down and looking at it under an SEM and even
probing the individual transistors.

Regards,
Achim.