[time-nuts] Ebay Huawei Ublox M8T Modules Warning

Matthias Welwarsky time-nuts at welwarsky.de
Tue Jan 12 11:05:16 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Montag, 11. Januar 2021 23:32:24 CET Nigel gm8pzr via time-nuts wrote:
> Noticed Bluegirls changing her listing based on Nigel's false information.

Well, the change to the power supply voltage is certainly correct. The antenna
supply rating is at least safe now. It might be OK to feed 5V there, but
that's hard to say without having traced out the circuit. There is no external
DC block on the PCB (see figure 10 in the LEA-M8 HIM) but that requirement
seems to be due to V_ANT being connected to GND. That's clearly not the case
here. There's another variant of active antenna circuit in figure 12, but here
the supply voltage is fed through V_ANT, which is not what's implemented on
this breakout board. So it _might_ be OK to feed 5V for antenna bias but not
sure.

Btw the same PCB shows up in other listings in their shop, with a LEA-5T and a
LEA-6T.