[time-nuts] CSAC State of Play

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 12 14:22:56 UTC 2021

Hi

Root cause (as mentioned earlier) seems to be a problem with the seal on the
inner “magic guts” of the device. There are units that seem to run on and on forever
with no issues, so it’s not a 100% sort of thing. The problem goes back to fairly
early CSAC production lots and seems to have been a tough one for them to
take care of.

We had some early CSAC units die that way and they were replaced without much hassle.
They had not seen any sort of extended (as in weeks / months) high temperature
exposure. They had been through standard testing which would take them over the
entier temperature range. While the failure mode *could* have been the same, there is
no way to be 100% sure.

Bob