[time-nuts] GPSDO won't lock: OCXO aged out?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jan 16 16:19:43 UTC 2021

Hi

There is both short term and long term noise on the GPS PPS signal
out of a GPS module. Some of the short term noise can be reduced
by software using the “sawtooth correction” out. That assumes the
module you are using provides this output. The uBlox M8T is one
of many that provide this information.

Even with correction, you are still stuck with “many nanoseconds” of
noise on the GPS PPS. A good OCXO is *much* more stable than
this. A filter in the locking circuit is needed to reduce this noise.

The lock circuit can be either a PLL (phase locked loop) or a FLL
(frequency locked loop). If it is a FLL, the time output of the GPSDO
will drift. If you want time to stay locked, you need to use a PLL.

Even with a PLL long term accuracy is dependent on an integrator
in your lock circuit. That is what watches the long term problems
and corrects for them.

Working out the timing / corner frequencies of the proportional and
integrator portions of the loop is highly dependent on your oscillator
and the goals you intend to achieve. A reasonable starting point
for the proportional portion is in the 10 to 100 second range. The
integrator usually is 10 to 100X longer.

Getting all this working involves comparing it to “something better”.
Often in a basement project, finding something better becomes
a major effort.

Fun

Bob