[time-nuts] Leakage, tinySA

Brian Lloyd brian at lloyd.aero
Sat Jan 16 17:40:49 UTC 2021

On 1/16/21 04:32, Hal Murray wrote:

> The 10 MHz is stronger near coax carrying 10 MHz and next to a Z3801A.  I'll
> have to try some good cables.  Anybody have a favorite source?  Is there a
> magic word?  Do I have to specify the type of coax?

Yes. RG400 or RG316. Do NOT use RG58 or RG174. Both RG400 and RG316 are
double-shielded to reduce leakage. The choice is dictated by length of
run and physical flexibility required. Mostly I use RG316 cables on the
bench. For more than a meter or so I go with RG400. You can get either
type of cable terminated with N, BNC, TNC, or SMA connectors.

All kinds of pre-made cable assemblies using RG316 are available from
Amazon for surprisingly-low prices. I can't buy the coax and connectors
for what I end up paying Amazon for completed cables. For RG400 I end up
making my own cable assemblies.

The LMR cables (Times Microwave and knock-offs) are pretty good too.
LMR195 is pretty good but not nearly as flexible as the aforementioned
cables. LMR400 is just too big and inflexible for easy use on the bench.

--

 <https://www.lloyd.aero>

Brian Lloyd
706 Flightline