[time-nuts] "Q for dummies"

Ole Petter Ronningen opronningen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 12:28:11 UTC 2021

Hi, All

I am going to give a presentation to non-nuts, and in one of the slides I
touch on Q - not wanting to spend more than a sentence or two on the
subject, I wonder if the following analogy works:

"A quality long-stemmed, thin-walled wine glass will ring for a long time
after we give it a little tap - this is high Q. A thick-walled, stubby milk
glass will barely ring at all, just a dull "plink" - this is low Q. The
energy we put in dies out very quickly."

As I am sure is embarrassingly evident, I have a rather tentative grip on
the subject myself..

Ole