[time-nuts] An Other Ublox 8

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Thu Jan 28 07:05:42 UTC 2021

Hello,

I have been playing lately with the M8F, but did not had a detailed look
to the 30.72MHz frequency as John did. I have used it along with a
Zynq-based board (a very unexpensive surplus EBAZ4205, that can be get
for ~10 EUR) to made an ntp server, replacing the kernel clocksource
from the ARM timer with an external timer implemented at the FPGA
running from the 30.72MHz output (multiplied inside the FPGA to 250MHz),
and using that counter to provide the PPS timestamps, in order to
eliminate any software jitter due to interrupt latencies.

I have been using chrony instead of ntp. The PPS timestamps are almost
ever ending in .000000000:

# cat /sys/class/pps/pps0/assert
1611817180.000000000#94736

The result of chornyc sources is:

# chronyc sources
210 Number of sources = 8
MS Name/IP address         Stratum Poll Reach LastRx Last sample
#* GPS                           0   0   377     1     +0ns[ +0ns] +/-
901ns
^- 10.0.2.24                     1   3   377     6   +124us[ +124us] +/-
1335us

10.0.2.24 is a RPi-based ntpd. Both the adjusted offset and the measured
offset are ever 0ns, and the estimated error stucks at 901ns, that I
think that is something like a chrony floor (I have seen it drop to zero
along time with other chorny version)

After a short time from boot, the results of the tracking command are:

# chronyc tracking
Reference ID    : 47505300 (GPS)
Stratum         : 1
Ref time (UTC)  : Thu Jan 28 06:53:36 2021
System time     : 0.000000000 seconds fast of NTP time
Last offset     : +0.000000000 seconds
RMS offset      : 0.000000000 seconds
Frequency       : 0.000 ppm slow
Residual freq   : +0.000 ppm
Skew            : 0.000 ppm
Root delay      : 0.000000001 seconds
Root dispersion : 0.000002380 seconds
Update interval : 1.0 seconds
Leap status     : Normal

All offsets 0 :)

So although it does not seem optimal for a GPSDO, it looks nice for
applications like this (only caveat is that the M8F price is around 8x
the FPGA board price... :) )

Regards,

Javier, EA1CRB