[time-nuts] Re: metronome

folkert folkert at vanheusden.com
Mon Jul 5 11:21:44 UTC 2021

Hi,

I'll reply to the reactions I received combined in one mail. I also
received an e-mail off-list, not adding that here (maybe there was a
specific reason for sending it off-list).

> Bob kb8tq:
MIDI gear spans many decades at this point. Some of it will have interesting digital sub systems. It might be interesting to send a metronome sequence to various instruments and see how they measure up to your home brew device. You *might* find that your ADEV is state of the art already.

* I'm definitely overdoing it already, way beyond the original goal (helping me play). But I think it will be cool to have the most accurate metronome in the world! :-) (with whatever is possible to achieve with as few components as possible).

> Magnus Danielson:
Just a few weeks ago someone was upset to see how sloppy a classic recoding was, and we old guys ended up commenting on just how challenging timing in early MIDI gear was, and that it was quite fine for it's time. Todays DAW editing is much sharper on time, in fact it is part of making it dull, as some well times swing helps a lot.

* Is that caused by the low bitrate? Because we now also have MIDI over USB (higher bandwidth) and WiFi (extra more jitter :-]).

> Keelan Lightfoot:
At the risk of sounding like an old fart: one of the ye olde fashioned 18 pin PIC microcontrollers can easily do what you're trying to do without having to resort to a full blown RTOS.

* True. But probably not when it comes to combining it with WiFi and USB. I could do so by implementing all of that myself. But I found IPv4 at itself already a lot of work. Let's keep my spare-time projects nice and small (for now).

> SimBeej:
As a total newbie timenut myself I don't have any advice to offer, but just wanted to say, what a great project and well done you!!

* Thanks! Appreciated.