[time-nuts] Re: Symmetricom NTS-150 Network Time Server Report

Bill Beam wbeam at gci.net
Sat Jul 10 20:57:04 UTC 2021

If you havn't seen it earlier look here <https://millerjs.org/timehat>.
A newer version may be available.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 14:19:56 -0500, Ben Hall wrote:

>Afternoon all,

>The NTS-150 arrived today from the e-place.  Made a null-modem cable, fired it up, and eventually the LED went flashing green indicating
GPS lock.  However...it thinks it's the year 2001...a clear indication of the GPS rollover issue.

>Some googling indicates that while a firmware upgrade exists, it doesn't fix the roll-over issue.

>I quickly scanned the circuitry - its a got a Zarlink Semiconductor GPS front end chip and separate GPS correlator, plus what seems to be
a dedicated ARM microprocessor.

>At the moment, it's not clear to me how much of the NTP functions are in the ARM micro or in the other chips on-board...and if there is a
TTL-serial link of known format (say NMEA) that I could cut say between the ARM micro and the rest of the NTP functionality to shotgun in a
uBlox or other GPS module.

>Looks like there was a thread on the eevblog webpage where someone was trying to do that but seems that they didn't get anywhere...

>So basically, I've got a nice rack-mount enclosure to enclose my next rack-mount project...as I don't think it will ever work as an NTP
server again.  :)