[time-nuts] Re: Thunderbolts ...

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Tue Jul 20 20:02:47 UTC 2021

Dana wrote:

> My experiences with the T'Bolt have not been entirely satisfactory.  If I
> set the loop lime constant long enough to get a satisfying smoothing
> of the GPS noise (a few hundred seconds), then the thermal sensitivity
 > of the VCXO on the T'Bolt rears its ugly head and I see a lot of my
 > HVAC system cycling instead.

Sounds like you have a not very good Tbolt.  First, understand that the
original Tbolt was supplied by Trimble with several different VCXOs.
ONLY the ones with Trimble 37265 oscillators have low tempcos.  Tbolts
with other factory-installed oscillators are 100x or more worse.

However, *NOT ALL* 37265 VCXOs give proper tempco performance.  In the
few samples I've tested, and by reviewing posted data for other 37265
Tbolts, I identified two groups.  One group had what I expect for 37265
Tbolt tempcos, while the others (maybe 50%+ of units?) all had tempcos
grouped around 100x worse.  Generally, these also had tempcos of the
opposite sign from the "properly working" units.

I reported this finding on the list in 2012.  There is a thread in the
archive -- begin here:
<https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2012-December/072823.html>

> According to Bodnar, his units do have some choices in the time constant
> setting.

Yeah, but that still doesn't fix the fact that their short-term
stability is greatly inferior to any GPSDO with an OCXO, even one that
has not been optimized.  Exactly what one doesn't want for most time-nut
purposes.

Best regards,

Charles