[time-nuts] Re: GPS Splitter for L1, GNSS, etc?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jun 2 14:25:12 UTC 2021

Hi

Filtering is a good thing. Narrow filtering for GPS/L1 is the only way to get
a GPSDO running on a cell site. There simply is way to much RF running around.

Once you head down the “triple band / all GNSS” road, the filtering needs to
cover a *lot* of spectrum. Most setups simply drop the filtering from the equation.
That’s true of home labs and fancier installations.

My preferred approach is to use eBay / Minicircuits splitters with SMA connectors
on them. They are dirt cheap and pretty much indestructible.  A high gain survey
antenna already has enough signal out to drive a rational length of LMR 400 and
a fairly large splitter.

More or less:

Survey antenna has 50 db gain (eBay link does not work so I’m guessing here)
Most modules / devices are happy with 20 to 30 db gain. They may only degrade a bit at 15 db.
… You have 20 to 30 db to work with
8 port splitter is ~9 db
16 port splitter is ~12 db
100 feet of LMR 400 at 1.5 GHz is 5.9 db according to:

https://www.timesmicrowave.com/calculator?Product=LMR-400&RunLength=100&Frequency=1500 <https://www.timesmicrowave.com/calculator?Product=LMR-400&RunLength=100&Frequency=1500>

Worst case would be 20 db gain, 12 db splitter, 6 db coax. You still have 2 db to spare.  Less coax
or smaller splitter would give you a bit more margin.

Bob