[time-nuts] Re: GPS antenna distribution???

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Jun 28 00:08:59 UTC 2021

Hi

One significant thing to consider:

How many GNSS bands do you want / need / wish to cover?

A while back, you would be fine just grabbing GPS and Glonass on one band. These days
widening things out to two or three bands may make sense. There are an ever increasing
number of devices that both do multi GNSS ( GPS / Glonass / Galileo / Compas ….) and
multi band.

Why does this all matter?

The “cellular” amplifiers have relatively narrow band filter is in them. There is zero chance of
them doing multi band. They also do a poor job of handling GPS and Glonass.

The somewhat wider L1 amps might do Glonass and GPS. They aren’t going to get you the
other bands. Other bands are what get you better correction for ionosphere. That’s a big deal.

Bob