[time-nuts] World's most precise.... wall clock

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Wed Mar 3 01:27:15 UTC 2021

Eamonn,

Here are a couple of ideas for you:

1) You may find some GPS / NTP / 1PPS / 10 MHz precise time friendly
professional clocks at:

https://www.masterclock.com/

2) If you have a 50/60 Hz mains wall clock you can always use this trick:

http://leapsecond.com/pages/atomic-nixie/

3) You can convert your perfect 10 MHz into perfect 32.768 Hz and inject
that into any cheap 32 kHz tuning fork clock. Sometimes it's as simple
as one wire. Watch one for one problem: some newer 32 kHz clocks use
cycle slipping in which case feeding in exactly 32768 Hz will result in
a very slight loss of time as far as the hands show.

A $1 solution to converting 10 MHz to 32 kHz is:

http://leapsecond.com/pic/src/pd30.asm
http://leapsecond.com/pic/picdiv.htm

4) You can convert your perfect GPS/1PPS into the bipolar stepper
signals used by the Lavet motor in almost all analog wrist / desk / wall
clocks:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavet-type_stepping_motor
http://leapsecond.com/pages/32kHz/

5) If you want sidereal time, another $1 PIC solution, see PD28 and PD29 at:

http://leapsecond.com/pic/src/

This technique can be adapted to a wide range of frequencies.

6) Projects to hack / adapt display clocks to Rb or Cs or GPS/GPSDO
timing sources is not uncommon on sites like Hackaday.com so have a look
there as well.

/tvb