[time-nuts] World's most precise.... wall clock

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 14:26:32 UTC 2021

Hal,

The older (and probably the newer models, too) Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDOs
have
a user-adjustable time constant accessible via the serial port using a
program like
"Tboltmon.exe" (from Trimble).  I suspect that  "Lady Heather"  may also do
this.  I
am fortunate in owning a still functioning PC with an actual hardware RS232
port
and a usable O/S (Win XP), so running Tboltmon is a trivial exercise for me.

In addition to time constant, tboltmon also lets one examine (and set,
where appropriate)
a large number of other items, and it's reasonably intuitive to use.  I've
never had to resort
to a manual. (if there even is one) to do what I needed.

My own experience is that a time constant around 50 sec works best in my
environment,
providing the best compromise between filtering PPS jitter from out of the
unit's GPS
receiver and tamping down OCXO wanderings due to my home HVAC system's
cycling.
Setting a far longer time constant value (say, much longer than 500 sec)
tends to lead
to "funny business" so I just don't go there.

I have convinced myself that the PPS output from my Tbolt is derived from
the produced
10 MHz output, because if I trigger an o'scope from the PPS output, the 10
MHz sinewave
shows very little time jitter, perhaps 1 or 2 nsec.  So, I'm pretty happy
with the T'bolt, with
two (minor) exceptions:

>  Its RF sensitivity seems rather poor compared to that of "modern"
receivers (my unit
    was apparently made in the early 2000s).

>  In tboltmon, the signal "strength" indications are displayed in units
called 'AMU',
    for which I've been unable to find a definition.

Dana