[time-nuts] clocks for amateur radio and astronomy (was: World's most precise.... wall clock)

Tim Lister listertim at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 23:14:07 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 2:21 PM Bruce Griffiths
<bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Unless something akin to VLBI or pulsar timing is involved millisecond accuracy will usually suffice for amateur astronomy.

I think some of the most demanding requirements for optical astronomy
by amateur/semi-pros are set by observing Near Earth Object (NEO)
asteroids or observing outer solar system objects occultations (when
these objects pass in front of a star). NEOs can have motion rates up
to several hundred arcseconds per minute at close approach and you
don't want to degrade the measured position by any more than about
0.2". Similarly outer solar system objects such as Kuiper Belt Objects
will have a velocity across the line of sight during the occultation
of around 10-15 km/s and size in the few hundred meters to few hundred
km range. Both of these work out to wanting time accuracies around the
few millisecond regime.

Cheers,
Tim