[time-nuts] World's most precise.... wall clock

Björn bg at lysator.liu.se
Thu Mar 11 08:08:30 UTC 2021

Sent from my iPhone

> On 10 Mar 2021, at 15:54, Dana
>
> I have convinced myself that the PPS output from my Tbolt is derived from
> the produced
> 10 MHz output, because if I trigger an o'scope from the PPS output, the 10
> MHz sinewave
> shows very little time jitter, perhaps 1 or 2 nsec.  So, I'm pretty happy
> with the T'bolt, with
> two (minor) exceptions:
>
>> Its RF sensitivity seems rather poor compared to that of "modern"
> receivers (my unit
>    was apparently made in the early 2000s).
>
>> In tboltmon, the signal "strength" indications are displayed in units
> called 'AMU',
>    for which I've been unable to find a definition.
>
> Dana

Dana,

The Tbolt is different from most GPSDOs in that the 10MHz clocks the whole receiver. So there is no sawtooth error to correct for. Read the manual.

It is less sensitive, as was receivers from that manufacturer and age. Look in the manual what gain is expected at the antenna port.

AMU - “a mostly meaningless unit” is how I was described it from an industry insider. Note that you can change the unit to SNR if you want. Then SNR is also not always comparable  between manufacturers and models.

Kind regards,

      Björn