[time-nuts] Re: NIST 60KHz message

John Magliacane kd2bd at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 19:55:27 UTC 2021

 On Sunday, March 14, 2021, 11:56:11 AM EDT, Jeffrey Pawlan <pawlan at runbox.com> wrote:

> I have been using the new BPSK receiver for NIST. There are two strange things that perhaps others can explain.

I don't know if this has anything to do with what you are experiencing, but WWVB is currently undergoing an equipment upgrade to improve the reliability of the signal.

According to the WWVB website (https://www.nist.gov/pml/time-and-frequency-division/time-distribution/radio-station-wwvb):

In order to install this equipment, beginning on March 9, 2021 the WWVB signal may be operated on a single antenna at approximately 30 kW radiated power for periods up to several days in duration, and may have occasional outages. Periods of reduced power operation lasting longer than 30 minutes will be logged on the WWVB Antenna Configuration and Power web page (https://www.nist.gov/time-distribution/radio-station-wwvb/wwvb-antenna-configuration-and-power), and any outage longer than five minutes' duration will be recorded on the WWVB Outage web page (https://www.nist.gov/time-distribution/radio-station-wwvb/wwvb-station-outages). Upgrades are expected to be complete by March 31, 2021.

As I write this (at 19:50 UTC on 14-Mar-2021), WWVB is off-the-air. They were on earlier this morning and afternoon. I believe Colorado received a substantial snowstorm over the past day or so as well...

73 de John, KD2BD