[time-nuts] Re: WWVB Daylight savings

Larry McDavid lmcdavid at lmceng.com
Mon Mar 15 18:49:55 UTC 2021

All three WWVB AM clocks I moved into my garage overnight did set to DST
correctly overnight and I have moved them back into the house.

The house now has radiant thermal barrier thermal insulation under the
roof in the attic; this insulation has aluminum foil applied to one
paper surface. When I had this additional insulation installed, the WWVB
AM clocks throughout the house stopped setting time overnight until I
moved them to the inside of outside walls; now, they all seem to set
time but not necessarily the DST change for some reason. The garage does
not have this insulation so the WWVB signal is stronger out there.

I do wonder why these AM clocks will set time-of-day but not change with
DST. But, that is always the case; some of the clocks do and some don't
but it is not always the same clocks that don't. Applying the DST
correction is just inconsistent.

The new insulation also reduced the GPS signal inside my home
substantially. I have two timing GPS antennas on the roof and two GPS
antenna splitters so I can distribute the GPS signal; one supplies GPS
upstairs and one downstairs. But, if I bring the car GPS navigator
inside to update its software, it does not consistently get a GPS signal
now with the new insulation.

The new La Crosse Ultratomic BPSK clocks will set anywhere inside my
home within 10 minutes (usually much less) any time of day when the
C-cells are replaced. It is reported that the BPSK "signal strength"
(actually modulation decoding) is 100 times that of the AM modulation. I
wish there were more kinds of BPSK clocks available!

Is anyone aware of any other BPSK WWVB clock?

Larry