[time-nuts] Re: Complex PLL

Ben Bradley ben.pi.bradley at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 18:26:06 UTC 2021

" I take the quotient, calculate the angle using the atan function ..."

This is mathematically correct, but programming-wise there's a
function atan2 that does both at once, and also doesn't return
infinity or give a divide-by-zero error if the denominator is zero.

atan2 also does something else, it returns the angle in the correct
quadrant for the signs of x and y. I don't know offhand if this is
your problem, but it can only help. Here's more info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atan2
https://www.johndcook.com/blog/2019/11/18/inverse-trig-functions/