[time-nuts] Water in connectors

Ole Petter Ronningen opronningen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 11:08:06 UTC 2021

Hi, All

I am trying to chase down a 2-3-4 ns/day "anomaly" in a gpsdo I am working
on - it could be temperature sensitivity in the antenna (cheap patch
jobbie), or I suspect my sealing of the outside connectors may not be
watertight. I just wanted to ask the list of anyone know of/has an estimate
of how much the propagation delay on an N and/or SMA can reasonably be
expected to change in the presence of water? is 3 ns in the right ballpark,
or would that effect be way bigger/smaller?

Likewise, does anyone have reasonably accurate figures for how much
temperature could be expected to affect the delay of signals? 20 ps? 20 ns?
Looking for some rough figures so I can look in the right direction..

I've used the same gpsdo, cable and location with a high quality antenna
without seeing these effects, so I am fairly certain it is the antenna (or
my reference maser giving up the ghost..)

Thanks!
Ole