[time-nuts] Re: The Collapse of Puerto Rico’s Iconic Telescope [April 5th, 2021 New Yorker]

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Wed Mar 31 01:10:36 UTC 2021

On 3/30/21 5:58 PM, Dana Whitlow wrote:
> Jim, how large is the Goldstone antenna to which you referred?

70 meters.

They do bistatic radar with Tx at Goldstone and Rx at Green Bank (and
Arecibo, when it was live).

What Arecibo had was a monster UHF transmitter (420 MHz) - DSN has big
S-band and X-band transmitters.

The Solar System Radar is a lesser known aspect of the Deep Space
Network.  But that's how we knew about Venus's rotation period, etc.